Deadline: November 20, 2011
Manifesta is the roving European Biennial of Contemporary Art that changes it location every two years. Manifesta purposely strives to keep its distance from what are often seen as the dominant centres of artistic production, instead seeking fresh and fertile terrain for the mapping of a new cultural topography. Genk (Belgium) will be the location of the 9th edition of Manifesta that will run from June 2 until September 30, 2012.
The Education/Mediation Department of Manifesta 9 is looking for a number of enthusiastic “Art Mediators”. Within the framework of the unique concept of Manifesta 9 an Art Mediator will be responsible for mediating the Biennial’s artistic content and context with various audiences including kids, youngsters, adults and special interest groups. Art Mediators will work in close collaboration with the Education/Mediation team members and will get the opportunity to gain valuable work experience while being part of an international team of artists and art professionals. Experienced gallery / museum educators are invited to apply, but we also want to invite recent graduates and students studying education, art history, visual arts, fine arts, design, art education, museum education or others education and/or art related studies to apply. There will also be a number of places available for international applicants.TASKS
§.Study the form and content of Manifesta 9, the European Biennial of Contemporary art.
§.Active participation in the development of the Manifesta 9 education and mediation programme.
§.Leading guided tours, workshops and other art mediation activities.
REQUIRED SKILLS- A good knowledge of (contemporary) art;
- Experience in mediating art and/or heritage to diverse audiences;
- Strong command of Dutch and English (other language skills are greatly appreciated);
- Teacher/didactical training and/or experience. Not mandatory but highly appreciated;
- Flexible time schedule;
- Strong communicational skills.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS- A number of preparation meetings and activities are scheduled during the first months of 2012;
- Manifesta 9 Art mediators will be employed (full time) from May / June 2012 until end September 2012.
- Working location is Genk, Belgium. http://www.hbvl.be/limburg/hasselt/limburg-wil-kunstbiennale-manifesta-2012-binnenhalen.aspx